Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Recipe Review: Hearty Cabbage Skillet Supper

A friend of mine mentioned that she’d made a recipe from the Sacramento Bee the other week.  She said it had sausages, cabbage, and apple in it.  I realized I had all those ingredients at home, so I pulled out the recipe and we had it for dinner Sunday evening. 


The recipe calls for 6 cups of coleslaw mix or finely shredded cabbage.  I happened to have red and green cabbage, so I used both.  I think the recipe was supposed to be kind of German, but my sausages happened to be Spicy Jalapeno from Trader Joe’s, so my version turned out a little different, especially as I didn’t have any caraway seeds that the recipe called for. 


You could actually use any kind of sausage, cooked or uncooked.  The recipe says to use cooked and nestle them into the cabbage mixture towards the end.  My sausages were already cooked, but I didn’t want them to look pale and anemic, so I browned them in a fry pan with a very small amount of olive oil. 










As I mentioned, I didn’t have any caraway seeds, so I seasoned the cabbage mixture with salt and pepper, a little apple cider along with the broth, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, just to kick the flavor up a little.  I served this with some oven roasted fingerling potatoes – yum!  Also very quick and easy.

Gillian’s rating: 3 thumbs up (out of 5)

This recipe was back in February, so here is the link in case you’d like to try it.


4 comments:

  1. I am such a slave to the directions. I never would have thought of browning the sausage. I do like the look of browned sausage better than the pale, anaemic look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, and don't forget we 'eat' with our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. I'm liking cabbage more and more these days. My family is fond of pineapple sausage; I think that would go nicely in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, where do you find pineapple sausage? I don't think I've ever had it.

    ReplyDelete