Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Food Finds: Crunchy Curls


At 45 cents a serving, crunchy curls are a
healthy gluten-free and vegan snack.
 Growing up in England, my favorite salty snack was something called a Hula Hoop.  These were crunchy little potato snacks that came in different flavors, bbq, cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, and my favorite, the original salted.  As the name implies, these were hoop shaped, and as a kid I would put one on each finger and then munch them off one at a time. 

Well hula hoops are not available here in the United States.  But I've found a good substitute for them at Trader Joe's, and a healthier substitute to boot.  Crunchy Curls don't have quite the same flavor, but have a very similar texture and 'crunch', reminding me of my childhood snack.  

The package states that Crunchy Curls are 'a tasty lentil and potato snack,' they only contain five ingredients, lentil flour and potato starch being the first two, and they are also vegan and gluten free.  For WeightWatchers, a serving is 3 points.

Lentils are a good source of protein and fiber, and these contain 3g and 4g respectively per serving.  A serving by the way is 31 curls (on average 1.5"), which is a lot of crunching! 

Other nutritional information per serving:  calories 130, total fat 4.5g (saturated fat 0.5g), carbohydrates 18g.  There are approximately 6 servings per package and they cost $2.69.  Find them with the other chips and popcorn, etc., at Trader Joe's and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Gillian gave me some to taste and I say, "Try these for yourself. You WILL like them."

    The serving size is a decent size; it satisfies. Which is what I think a snack should do.

    Next time I go to TJ's a bag of Crunchy Curls will be in my cart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian....I bought two bags of these today to take to a friends...I was asked to bring a low cal appetizer...so these will be served with a black bean dip I'm trying...if that is good, I'll share that recipe with you. Love looking at your blog...anxious to make the malted milk ball cupcakes...maybe for a friend's birthday next week. See you soon, hopefully! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foodie in the KitchenJuly 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM

    Hi Sally, have you had the Crunchy Curls before? If not, I hope you like them. I am somewhat addicted to them! Would love the bean dip recipe if you think it's a good one. Hope you are having a good birthday weekend, look forward to seeing you soon, Gillian

    ReplyDelete