Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Recipe Review: Curried Cauliflower Salad

Curried Cauliflower Salad
The crunch, the color and the curry powder
appeal to the eye and to the taste buds.
This recipe was in The Sacramento Bee February 20, 2011 and sounded intriguing to me.  I can't say I've ever eaten roasted cauliflower in a salad, and the combination of sweet, salty and spicy ingredients sounded delicious.  Not to mention, it sounded like it would be good for me!

First, raw cashews are tossed with curry powder, salt and maple syrup and toasted in the oven.  Then cauliflower florets are also mixed with curry powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, and olive oil and roasted.  The cooled cauliflower and cashews are then tossed together with other tasty ingredients - red bell pepper, dried apricots, frozen peas, and cilantro.  Finally a splash of alight, sweet dressing of agave syrup, lemon juice and olive oil is added. 

I pretty much kept to the recipe.  I did substitute the peas for edamame, as my peas were frozen in a solid ice block and when thawed, tasted like they had been that way for far too long.  Fortunately I had some frozen edamame which were in much better shape.  This also added a little more protein to the dish.

I served the salad at room temperature with some leftover chicken breast and naan bread.  It was very good, and as I mentioned earlier, I loved the combination of sweet, salty, and spicy.  I'm sure leftovers will be good also!

I give this four thumbs up (out of five), and would definitely make it again.

Here's the link to the recipe:
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/02/3369168/try-cauliflower-for-a-spicy-winter.html

1 comment:

  1. I love cashews and adding them to cauliflower, dried apricots, etc sounds like a tasty combination. It is intriguing that you use maple syrup. This recipe is on my to try list.

    ReplyDelete