Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Whole Foods Market, Folsom - Grand Opening

Shopping at Whole Foods for a foodie is rather like a kid going to Toys 'R Us - so much fun but a little overwhelming.  Stepping inside the Folsom Whole Foods however, was like going to Disneyland!  So much to see, I didn't know where to start. 

Now of course the only problem with Whole Foods is that sometimes the prices can seem like you're at Disneyland also, but I did splurge on a couple of things, and as I was browsing I took pictures of the beautiful displays and some of the new products they feature.  I have to say that everything looked amazing, and I was impressed with how much work must have gone into preparing the store for the opening.

First I stumbled upon what I thought was the bulk grain department.  But looking closer I discovered that these were in fact grains for beer making. 





Along with the grains, you can purchase all your other beer making supplies here - yeasts, thermometers, books, etc.  What a great Christmas idea for the beer drinker in your life - a big basket containing everything needed to make that first brew.

Moving to the other side of the store, I came across this fancy storage area housing the organic bulk grains.




There are bulk olive oils and balsamic vinegars,



bulk honeys and agave syrup,



and bulk legumes. 



Make your own nut butters,


Even chocolate peanut butter!




Then I moved on down to the deli and prepared foods area.  First I came to an antipasto bar, marinated peppers, artichokes, pickles, etc.


More antipasto and fabulous olives


Amazing salad bar - look at the incredible rainbow of colors


Pot pie bar, yum!  Chicken pot pie, mushroom and vegetable pot pie, and clam chowder pot pie.


Now here's a fun idea - a 'make-your-own-trail-mix' bar.



Sushi made fresh every day,


and cheeses from all over the world.



Look at this beautiful Parmesan Reggiano display.


Prepared meals, ready for you to take home for dinner.


Back over by the wine I found these bulk nuts.


And at last... dessert! 





These Coco Pops were interesting.  They are a little like a rice cake, but larger and flatter - about the size of a corn tortilla, and are made with whole grains.  Very low calorie and low fat.  A friend of mine was asking if they were gluten free, but I didn't look at the ingredients and nutrition labels.  So if anyone knows the answer to this, or can give more detailed information on the nutritional value, please comment.  Thanks.



I did try a sample, and although I'm not a big rice cake fan, the Nutella that they spread on my piece certainly made it quite tasty ;)

They are made fresh in the store every day, in a machine that resembles a popcorn maker.  Here is a quick video showing the Coco Pop machine in action - fun to watch!


Beautiful produce,


and pumpkin trees - who knew? 



Many other pretty flowers,



and of course a fall pumpkin display outside the store.


So have I whet your appetite?  If you live in the Folsom area, be sure to stop by for a visit.  You don't have to buy your week's groceries here, but be adventurous and pick up a few items that you wouldn't normally purchase - just to try.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Yes you have whet the appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must visit the pot pie bar! Thanks for giving us a virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A variable Foodies Heaven in there! I love all the pics you took and the Christmas Brew Your Own Basket is a great idea. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous pics! Clam chowder pot pie....hmmmm. The idea of chocolate peanut butter is also intriguing. Lovely post, as always, and nice to have a WF closer now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Susan and Marsha, I'm up for the pot pie bar too! I wonder if there will be other varieties in the future? It was fun taking all the pictures Reggie. I made sure I asked permission, but nobody seemed to mind. I'm sure I wasn't the first!

    ReplyDelete